Monday, June 22, 2009

Courting Heatstroke

OMG IT IS FREAKIN HOT AND HUMID!!!!

Okay that statement is out of the way! But it is hot and miserable here right now.

And rain! It seems it rains everyday! Not just little pissy showers, we're talking about thinking about hiding under the house storms! BOOM BOOM BOOM are we going to end up in Kansas type of storms!

So there was no storm forecast for today (tonight is another matter entirely!) so I took a day off (not from work...from DAD'S!) so I could hopefully get some yard work done before the next monsoon comes thru tonight.

The grass was getting so high that sheep and cows from outside of town were putting in for transfers to my yard!

And so out into the heat I go in my cute little shorts and cut off shirt ( I'm sure the neighbors were impressed) and enough sunscreen on the top of my bald head to coat an entire girl scout troop and attacked the jungle that normally is my yard.

Nothing sexier than a bald fat man trying to have sunstroke and a heart attack at the same time!

One good thing, my farmers tan is darkening nicely,the legs are still snow white but they are shaded by my belly the whole time!

I have so much yard work to do it is not funny. Flower beds to weed,edges to trim,gravel to rake,mulch to put down....
The list goes on and on!

It really depresses me to look at my yard, I always took so much pride in it and my flowers but since Dad got bad I have no time to work on it. The weeds are taking over.However I was thrilled to see while I was courting a coronary that the cactus is finally blooming this year! You have to ignore the weeds!



And my Mimosa tree (that I started from seed from Mom's tree which is now dead) is going great guns! I had about twenty sprouts a few years ago and this was the only one that survived a freak freeze we had that year. The Mimosa is about three years old now and I think it's gonna make it! (again please ignore the weeds!) I should have blooms probably next year!Some things thrive on neglect tho! This is my "miniature" Japanese Maple! Don't always believe the tags on clearanced plants at Wal-Mart! This tree was supposed be (according to the tag) a small,weeping Japanese Maple like my buddy has! His is about 10 years old and only about 3 feet tall,cascades beautifully down and behaves itself in its spot. Mine has turned into a monster tree! I love the tree but if I had known it was going to do this I would have planted it in a different spot!

The hostas are going berzerk and hopefully I can divide them this fall...I had to cut down the roses, those damn jap beetles wiped them out!

I guess I have to be grateful of what plants did survive while I was away and just hope I can replace what bit the dust!

No comments:

Post a Comment